In 2015, Education for Nature – Vietnam (ENV) will host the second annual awards ceremony, recognizing the outstanding achievements and contributions by members of society in the protection of wildlife.
Photo: Outstanding service in wildlife protection awards ceremony 2013
The awards event will be carried out in partnership with the Biodiversity Conservation Agency (Vietnam Environment Administration), Freeland Foundation, TRAFFIC Southeast Asia – Greater Mekong Programme, Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS Vietnam), IUCN Vietnam, and People and Nature Reconciliation (Pan Nature) and is supported by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID)-supported Asia’s Regional Response to Endangered Species Trafficking (ARREST) Program.
“After the resounding success of the first National Awards organized in 2013, we continue to recognize people who stand out as having a strong positive impact on protecting wildlife which is threatened by illegal hunting and trade,” says Vu Thi Quyen – Executive Director of ENV. “ENV and our partners strongly appreciate the excellent contributions by law enforcement and the media towards the protection of wildlife.”
Amongst those recognized for their achievements will be five representatives from key government agencies responsible for enforcing wildlife protection laws, as well as two outstanding journalists.
1. Outstanding Enforcement Officer Award: Up to five awards will be given to professionals directly involve in the enforcement of wildlife protection. Suggested nominees may include environmental police officers, forest rangers from provincial and protected area enforcement teams, customs officers, border police, fisheries officers, and other members of the law enforcement community with a proven track record in protecting wildlife.
2. Excellence in Journalism Award: Two awards will be given to two journalists whose work has had a major impact on raising public awareness about wildlife protection and exposing wildlife trade networks in Vietnam.
Call for nominations
The nomination process will open on December 1st 2014 and close on February 28th 2015
Nominations may be submitted by anyone except the nominee. The process for submitting a nomination is as follows:
- Step 1: Review the criteria at the end of this document
- Step 2: Complete the application form
- Step 3: Submit the nomination by post or email
A copy of the nomination form and criteria is available here.
Completed nominations should be sent directly by email or post to
Education for Nature – Vietnam
Outstanding Achievement Awards for Wildlife Protection
P.O. Box 222
Nomination deadline: The deadline for nominations is February 28th 2015, after which no new nominations will be accepted.
Announcement of awards: An awards ceremony will be hosted in Hanoi in late 2015. Award winners will be notified by ENV in June 2015. The exact date and location of the awards ceremony will also be announced in late August, 2015.
Nomination review process
Nominations will be subject to the following assessment process:
- Initial screening
ENV and the panel of judges will conduct a review of all nominations and produce a short-list comprised of candidates who meet the required criteria, detailed below and which is based on high standards of performance for and commitment to wildlife protection.
- Review by panel of judges
A panel of judges will review each short-listed nomination and any associated materials and select winners based on a majority vote for each category.
Panel of judges
The panel of judges includes representatives from the following institutions:
- Education for Nature – Vietnam (ENV)
- Biodiversity Conservation Agency (Vietnam Environment Administration)
- Freeland Foundation
- TRAFFIC Southeast Asia – Greater Mekong Programme
- Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS Vietnam)
- IUCN Vietnam
- People and Nature Reconciliation (PanNature)
The award winners will be notified by phone and written announcement in early June 2015. They will be formally invited to the awards ceremony which will take place in late 2015 in Hanoi. Award winners will be expected to work closely with ENV to collect photos or video footage and other supplementary materials required for the award ceremony.
Contact: Ms. Nguyen Thi Van Anh at (84-4) 6281 5424 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.